How can I tell if my siding needs to be replaced?
Siding is often the first thing people notice when visiting or passing by your home; it can make or break their first impressions. New or properly maintained siding can enhance your home’s appearance and boost its resale value, while damaged siding can make your home appear unkept or outdated—a possible deal-breaker for potential buyers who don’t want to go through the hassle of repairs.
But the purpose of siding goes far beyond aesthetics. Much like your roof and insulation, the primary function of siding is to protect your home. Siding shields your home from rain, snow, wind, and any other strong weather elements. If your siding is compromised by cracks, warping, holes, or other damage, it’s time to call a professional siding company. Ignoring the damage only puts the rest of your home at risk.
Signs you need to replace your home’s siding include:
- Frequent painting. It’s been less than five years since you last painted your home, but you’re already seeing damage to the paint job—what gives? There’s a good chance your siding needs to be replaced. Good siding can keep its paint for 10 years or more, but damaged siding causes paint to chip, peel, and crack prematurely.
- High energy bills. If your home’s heating and cooling costs are through the roof, one factor could be the siding. Damaged siding can allow warm air to leak in and out of your home, causing your heating and cooling systems to run more than usual.
- Dry rot. This moisture-fueled fungus causes wood to decompose, weakening siding and preventing it from acting as a shield against the elements.
- Mold. Mold, fungus, or mildew on your siding indicates that water is penetrating it and being held inside the wall. This can cause problems for both the exterior and interior of your home.
- Bubbles or blisters. This is almost always an indication that water is or was trapped underneath the siding. It could also be evidence of mold or rotting.
- Hail and storm damage. Hail and flying debris from severe storms or wind can leave chips, dents, or cracks in your siding, compromising its ability to act as your home’s protective barrier. These flaws can also be simply downright ugly.
- Loose, cracked, or missing pieces. Loose, cracked, or missing pieces of siding can be caused by a variety of factors, such as shoddy installation, high winds, and other natural elements. Loose, cracked, and missing siding can’t properly protect your home, and should be addressed promptly.
- Outdated or faded color. If your siding is an outdated or faded color, not only is it an eyesore, it’s a telltale sign of old age—and a good indicator that it’s time to take a closer look for any other signs of damage.
- Interior wall problems. If the wallpaper or paint inside your home is constantly peeling off, you likely have an issue with your siding: moisture is getting in. If not addressed, this can cause the wood under your siding to mold or rot.
J&J Roofing is an affordable and professional siding contractor. If you have concerns about your siding, we will conduct a detailed inspection to determine whether repair or replacement is your best option, and then offer recommendations and estimates. All siding projects are proudly backed by our 10-year labor warranty.
We offer a variety of vinyl siding products to protect your home and complement your personal style.
Vinyl siding has come a long way since its debut in the 1950s. Today’s high-tech plastic and vinyl materials combined with advances in manufacturing technology have turned vinyl siding into a versatile and high-performing material. One of the biggest draws of vinyl siding is that once installed, there is virtually no maintenance to perform for the next several decades.
- Very cost-effective
- Comes in hundreds of colors, textures, and profiles
- Built to withstand the elements
- Won’t rot or corrode over time
- Easy to install and maintain
- Cuts heating and cooling costs
When looking for siding contractors in southeast Michigan, make sure you hire the one that has a great reputation for quality workmanship and customer service. Check out some of our siding projects in our Portfolio! If you’re interested in our roofing services, fill out this free estimate form.