Gutter Repair and Replacement
Don’t Ignore Damaged Gutters
Michigan’s weather conditions can be brutal on gutters. Heavy snow, ice, and freeze-thaw cycles put stress on every joint, seam, and corner of a gutter system during the winter months, causing corrosion and leaks to develop over time. Summer brings severe storms that can tear gutters off completely or leave them covered in dents from hail. Other times, issues with your gutters have nothing to do with the weather. Improperly installed gutters and downspouts can cause leakage and overflow, leading to the deterioration of foundation walls and expensive repairs. Aging gutters can simply wear out over time, and some homes just don’t have gutters at all.
No matter the reason for your gutter failure, one thing is certain: you need to address the problem ASAP!
Gutters that frequently clog or leak can create serious cosmetic and structural problems for your home. When gutters aren’t working properly, rainwater and melted snow that would normally be drained away by your downspouts can infiltrate your home and wreak havoc inside and out.
Repair vs. Replacement
Whether your home needs a gutter repair or complete gutter replacement depends on the extent of the damage. If you only have a couple of leaks, they could be easy to repair, but if multiple sections have trouble spots, or if this is not the first time your gutters have required repairs, gutter replacement might be a better option.
Many homeowners want new gutters simply to make their home more attractive. Advances in gutter technology, such as seamless gutters, are not only more structurally sound than traditional sectional gutters, they’re more aesthetically pleasing.
7 Reasons To Upgrade Your Gutters
Only properly functioning gutters can fully protect your home from water damage. If your gutters are old, constantly clogged, or leaking, your entire home could be at risk. A quality, customized gutter system installed by J&J Roofing will save you a lot of time and money in repairs in the long run.
There are many reasons to upgrade your gutters:
- Prevent interior flooding. Without properly working gutters, water cannot be diverted away from your home’s foundation, which can lead to cracks. If you have a basement, it can quickly become a pool of flooding water.
- Preserve your landscaping. Uncontrolled water flowing off your roof can cause soil erosion and dips in your yard. It can also destroy plants, shrubs, and any other landscaping.
- Keep pests away. Gutters that are clogged or not draining properly will have standing water – a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests that love moisture.
- Prevent mold and rotting. When installed properly, gutters protect a home’s fascia. Fascia is the material that creates an attractive appearance along the edge of your roof. It also protects your home by creating a barrier against precipitation and pests. Gutters that are clogged or not working properly will cause excess water to pool and flow downward onto the home’s fascia. This can cause the fascia to mold or rot away, requiring expensive repairs.
- Protect your driveway. Water that is not being properly diverted from your home can collect in puddles on your driveway. This is a problem because water can break down concrete surfaces, causing your driveway to become bowed and cracked.
- You’re getting a new roof. For many homeowners, there is no better time to replace gutters than when a roof replacement occurs. If your roof is old or damaged, it’s likely your gutters are too. It’s more efficient – and often more cost effective – to have one crew that’s already on-site perform all necessary work, and it’s a good feeling to know that both your roofing and gutters are all new, and installed by an experienced contractor like J&J Roofing. On the other hand, if your gutters are in great shape, we’ll let you know.
- Add curb appeal. Old or damaged gutters can be unsightly. They might sag and pull away from your home, or have stains, holes, and rust spots. Installing new gutters can improve the overall curb appeal and resale value of your home.
If your gutters are old or not working properly, call J&J Roofing! We’ll inspect your gutters and give you an honest assessment about whether you need a complete gutter replacement, or if a simple repair will do. If you do elect for gutter replacement, our experts will provide you with a customized gutter system designed to suit your home’s specific needs. For more information about gutter repair or replacement, contact us today!